Eek. Well, I've officially broken my streak now. And I was doing so well, too. **sigh** But I think as long as I view it as a momentary lapse, everything should be fine, ne?
Right. So as I was saying in my last post, I went to a concert on Monday night (which is probably why I'm still so tired and consequently forgetting to blog). I think the theme for the evening was "quirk," since that's what all the acts seemed to have in common...
First up was Xiu Xiu, a band from...California, I think? They were, uh, interesting. If you're into random sounds moreso than music. >.> Meh, I listened to it with an open mind and all, but just, not really my thing. The vocalist guy had this overly-breathy voice with an overly-pronounced vibrato, and he sang over the din in an overly-dramatic way. With his eyes closed. And with spastic eyebrow action. They sounded like a band that pretentious people would cite as an influence, because no one would really want to listen to them for fun.
Next up was Tenniscoats, whom I think are from Japan. They were experimental, too (one of the guys on stage was playing a modified electric fan 0.o), but they weren't as cacophonous; they were kinda precious, actually. But still different. I probably wouldn't go to a show just to see them, but I wouldn't leave if they were playing, y'know?
After that was Tokumaru Shugo, and he was awesome. I'm such a shallow person -- I have to confess that the only reason I went to this show was because I saw a picture of him dressed up as a scientist, and it totally pushed all my geek buttons the right way (and it doesn't hurt that he's easy on the eyes >.>). But after listening to him, I can honestly say that he's really talented. His instrumentations are also unusual (e.g. accordion, bird whistle, random household stuff), but it works really well together. He's kinda like musical sorbet in a way -- refreshing and sweet and different.
The last act was Deerhoof, whom I wasn't familiar with, but one of my friends who was at the show was a big fan. They were quirky and different too, but in a more rockin' way. Also, you could actually dance to their songs, which I consider to be a plus.
So overall, I guess the score would be:
Good 2
Okay 1
Meh 1
Not a bad way to spend an evening, and it's always a good idea to push one's musical boundaries, no?
Anyway, that's all for now. Unfortunately, I'm not typing this from my computer at home, so no J-pic, but next time I'll post two. Promise! ^_^;
Until then, mata ne!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You are right! Tokumaru Shugo is a hottie, I would go just for that too. The musical diversity is nice too.
Post a Comment