Monday, November 10, 2008

*shrugs*

Did you know that there is a specific type of bezoar that is caused by consuming unripe persimmons? It's called a diospyrobezoar. According to Drs. Kishan, Kadli, Ponnappa, Korath, and Jagadeesan:

The most common form of phytobezoar comprising about 3/4 of the cases is due to ingestion of ‘persimmons‘. Persimmon (botanical name - diospyros kaki linn hence the name ‘diospyrobezoar‘) is a fruit grown mainly in Japan and mainland Asia[...]Ingestion of unripe persimmons, especially when the stomach contains little or no food matter to interfere with the contact and aggregation of the seeds and fragments of skin, predisposes to development of this type of bezoar.

I'm sure you wanted to know that...

So I'm back, after a long and irresponsible absence, and the first thing out of my mouth (so to speak -- ewww) is randomness about gastrointestinal blockages. Don't ask me, folks, I don't understand my headspace, either. Actually, I know how I came to be reading about bezoars this evening -- received a few persimmons as a gift the other day and wasn't sure how to tell when they were ripe, so went online to look them up -- I just don't know why I'm doing it. I can't say that it's the most efficient use of time, either, given the cluttered state of my apartment and the books I have yet to read and the studying I have yet to do, but apparently it's what my grazing brain finds appealing at the moment.

On a slightly related note, one of the teachers at my city school told me that if Isaac Newton had been Japanese, it would have been a persimmon that fell on his head instead of an apple. I agree with her, although I don't think he still would have been Isaac Newton, strictly speaking; not many Brits in Japan back then, y'know?

Anyway, I'm gonna shut up now before I start talking about the Harapanahalli bezoar, which is also pretty fascinating, yet totally unrelated to persimmons. またね!

Here's your random J-pic:

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.